From March 5 to 8, 2021, Leger conducted an online survey of Albertans to explore:
- Their perspectives on the Alberta 2021/22 budget;
- Their sentiments about COVID-19;
- Their provincial voting intentions;
- and more.
SOME OF THE KEY FINDINGS INCLUDE…
- Albertans’ sentiment toward the province’s 2021/22 budget is mixed.
- Albertans believe now isn’t the time to raise taxes, but are concerned about higher taxes in the future.
- Almost six-in-ten (59%) Albertans oppose a provincial sales tax in Alberta.
- Almost six-in-ten (59%) Albertans feel optimistic the end of the pandemic is coming soon, however most lean towards being somewhat optimistic (48%).
- The top activities Albertans are looking forward to once the COVID-19 restrictions are lifted are visiting with friends and family in person (67%) and travelling (62%).
- A total of n=1,001 online surveys were conducted among Albertans aged 18 or older via Leger’s LEO Panel, including n=331 in Edmonton CMA, n=320 in Calgary CMA, and n=350 in areas outside of Edmonton CMA or Calgary CMA.
- The survey was conducted from March 5 to 8, 2021, using computer-assisted web interviewing (CAWI) technology.
- As a non-random internet survey, a margin of error is not reported. If the data were collected through a random sample, the margin of error for a sample size of n=1,001 Albertans would be ±3.1%, 19 times out of 20.
- Using data from the 2016 Census, results were weighted according to age, gender, and region in order to ensure a representative sample of the population.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND MORE.
- As you may know, the government of Alberta released its 2021/22 budget last week. This budget did not contain any new taxes or significant spending cuts but does predict a deficit of $18.2 billion. When added to the province’s existing debt, will give a total debt of around $115 billion. With the current economic and health challenges the province is facing, how much do you support or oppose the 2021/22 provincial budget?
- How much do you agree or disagree with the following statements about Alberta’s 2021/22 provincial budget?
- The premier has said he will not introduce a Provincial Sales Tax in Alberta without the approval of Albertans. How much would you support or oppose the introduction of a Provincial Sales Tax (PST) in Alberta?
- Statistics Canada recently reported that Canadians on average have been able to save money during the pandemic. Have you been able to save money over the past year or so?
- If a Provincial election were held today, for which political party would you be most likely to vote? Would it be for…?