DOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORT AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE
Every two weeks, we survey Canadians and Americans to explore their perspectives on COVID-19 and other current events. Stay up to date on the latest trends and discover our most recent results below.
This survey is conducted in collaboration with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in the Canadian Press. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
Would you like to be first to receive these results every two weeks? Subscribe to our newsletter now.
SUPPORT FOR A HOLIDAY LOCKDOWN
- 76% of Canadians and 52% of Americans are planning on spending less time holiday shopping in person this year than in previous years.
- 57% of Canadians would support forcing large retailers to close the non-essential sections of their stores to in-person shopping out of fairness to small businesses that have had to shut down their operations, while 32% would oppose this measure. Americans are divided: 38% would support this measure, and 39% would oppose it.
- 65% of Canadians and 49% of Americans support a general lockdown in their province/state, including the closure of all non-essential businesses and services for the holiday season.
TRUMP AND HIS SUPPORTERS
- 27% of Americans think Donald Trump won the 2020 presidential election.
- 41% of Americans support Donald Trump’s continuing efforts to claim victory, while 59% oppose them.
- The top three reasons Americans who voted for Donald Trump did so is because they believe he puts America first (24%), he is the best to get the U.S. economy going (15%), and/or he is the anti-establishment candidate (10%).
- 75% of Americans who voted for Donald Trump indicate that they like him personally, while 25% indicate they do not.
This web survey was conducted from December 11-13, 2020, with 1,528 Canadians and 1,001 Americans, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
For comparison, a probability sample of 1,528 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.50%, 19 times out of 20, while a probability sample of 1,001 would have a margin of error of ±3.09%, 19 times out of 20.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND MORE!
- Are you planning to spend more time, as much time, or less time, in-person shopping in stores this holiday season than in previous years?
- Do you support or oppose a general lockdown in your province/state, including the closure of all non-essential businesses and services, for the holiday season to tackle the pandemic?
- When a vaccine for COVID-19 that had been approved by Health Canada/the FDA becomes available to the population and it is free, do you intend to get vaccinated?
- Who won the 2020 presidential election?
- What is the main reason why you voted for Donald Trump?