THIS SURVEY EXPLORES CANADIANS’ AND AMERICANS’ PERSPECTIVES ON LABOUR SHORTAGES.
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues and restrictions are beginning to relax, Canada and the United States are experiencing labour shortages in various industries. We asked Canadians and Americans whether they have experienced in-person businesses like restaurants/bars, retail and/or grocery stores being under-staffed, and what they think companies should do about this problem.
This survey is conducted in collaboration with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in the Canadian Press. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
Would you like to be the first to receive these results? Subscribe to our newsletter now.
DOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORT AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE.
- 60% of Canadians and 66% of Americans have experienced a situation where in-person businesses like restaurants/bars, retail and/or grocery stores have been under-staffed in the last three months.
- 50% of Canadians and 44% of Americans think that companies could offer better salaries to entice more people back to work at service jobs.
- 48% of Canadians and 42% of Americans think that the best option for companies to deal with employees earning minimum wage is to increase the minimum wage to the level of inflation.
- 34% of Canadians and 31% of Americans say the economic factor affecting them most right now is the higher cost of goods.
This web survey was conducted from October 22 to October 24, 2021 with 1,512 Canadians and 1,002 Americans, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
For comparison, a probability sample of 1,512 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.52%, 19 times out of 20, while a probability sample of 1,002 would have a margin of error of ±3.09%, 19 times out of 20.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND MORE!
- Which of the following best describes your work situation during 2021?
- What are the main reasons you are not currently working?
- Have you experienced a situation where restaurants/bars, retail, grocery stores or other similar in-person companies have been under-staffed in the last three months?
- What do you think companies can do to entice more people back to work at service jobs, like restaurants, fast food, convenience stores, grocery stores, retail, etc.?