DOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORT AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE
Conducted in collaboration with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in the Canadian Press. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
- 57% of Canadians are afraid of contracting COVID-19 (the same proportion as last week).
IN THE NEWS
- 49% of Canadians say the WE Charity controversy has worsened their opinion of Justin Trudeau.
- 49% of Canadians think that there should be an election if Justin Trudeau is found guilty of breaching the ethics code.
- Canadians and Americans are divided on whether it is justifiable to accuse people of sexual misconduct on social media.
- Canadians find accusations of sexual misconduct that are made on social media nearly twice as credible (60%) if the victim’s identity is shared, versus if they remain anonymous (32%).
- 37% of Canadians agree that if a public figure in entertainment, the arts, etc. is publicly accused of sexual misconduct, their work should be banned (from the airwaves, television networks, museums, theatres, etc.), while 48% disagree. Americans are more divided: 40% agree and 41% disagree.
- About one-third of Canadians (33%) and Americans (32%) think professional sports should resume although no COVID-19 vaccine is available.
This web survey was conducted from July 31 to August 2, 2020, with 1,531 Canadians and 1,001 Americans, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
Using data from the 2016 Census, the results were weighted by gender, age, mother tongue, region, education level and presence of children in the household in order to ensure a representative sample of the population.
For comparison, a probability sample of 1,531 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.5%, 19 times out of 20, while a probability sample of 1,001 would have a margin of error of ±3.1%, 19 times out of 20. The research results presented here are in full compliance with the CRIC Public Opinion Research Standards and Disclosure Requirements.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND MORE! DOWNLOAD IT BELOW FOR THE FULL RESULTS.
- Due to the pandemic, do you think the US should delay the presidential election, which is due to take place on November 3rd, 2020?
- Which of the following comes closest to describing your view about accusing people of sexual misconduct (including sexual assault) on social media?
- On a scale from 1 to 5, where 1 is Very safe and 5 Very unsafe, how safe do you feel it is for sports to return with no COVID-19 vaccine?
- Are you personally afraid of contracting COVID-19 (coronavirus)?