DOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORT AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE
Every week, we survey Canadians and Americans to explore their perspectives on COVID-19 and other current events. Stay up to date on the latest trends and discover our most recent results below.
This survey is conducted in collaboration with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in the Canadian Press. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
Would you like to be first to receive these results every week? Subscribe to our newsletter now.
THE U.S. PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION
- 58% of Americans report that the U.S. presidential election has been stressful for them and their family.
- 82% of Americans think all votes submitted before the voting deadline should be counted (8% do not, and 10% are not sure).
- 53% of Americans think the U.S. presidential election process has been fair, 33% do not, and 14% are not sure.
- 50% of Americans think the way America votes, the U.S. Electoral College, needs to change.
COVID-19: A CURFEW AND LONG-TERM CONSEQUENCES
- 67% of Canadians would support a temporary night-time curfew in their province to help control the spread of the virus (if the spread was serious enough in their province and public health officials recommended it).
- The greatest proportion of Canadians (41%) and Americans (26%) think that the most far-reaching long-term consequence of COVID-19 on life in their country will be that it will take years for their country’s economy to recover.
This web survey was conducted from November 6-8, 2020, with 1,534 Canadians and 1,002 Americans, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
For comparison, a probability sample of 1,534 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.50%, 19 times out of 20, while a probability sample of 1,002 would have a margin of error of ±3.1%, 19 times out of 20.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND MORE!
- How stressful has the U.S. presidential election been for you and your family?
- Do you think the 2020 U.S. presidential election process has been fair?
- Do you think the way America votes, the U.S. electoral college, needs to change?
- Some provinces have discussed the implementation of a temporary night-time curfew (i.e. from 10 pm to 5 am) to help control the spread of the virus. If the spread of the virus was serious enough in your province and public health officials recommended it, would you support or oppose a temporary night-time curfew?