DOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORT AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE
Every week, we survey Canadians and Americans to explore their perspectives on COVID-19 and other current events. Stay up to date on the latest trends and discover our most recent results below.
This survey is conducted in collaboration with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in the Canadian Press. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
WEARING A MASK
- 21% of Canadians and 43% of Americans believe that being required to wear a mask in public places violates their individual freedoms.
- One-in-ten Canadians (12%) supports protests against wearing masks. Among Americans, it’s nearly triple that number (31%).
- 69% of Canadians and 49% of Americans believe that, within the next three months, their country will return to lockdown, with businesses closing and orders to stay at home.
- 50% of Canadians and 34% of Americans believe the worst of the crisis is yet to come.
- In the past month, 63% of Canadians and 68% of Americans report that they have relaxed in terms of following one or more of the public health safety measures.
This web survey was conducted from September 18-20, 2020, with 1,538 Canadians and 1,001 Americans, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
Using 2016 Census reference variables, the Canadian data was then analyzed and weighted by our statisticians according to gender, age, mother tongue, region, education level and the presence of children in households in order to render a representative sample of the general population. Using 2010 U.S. Census reference variables, the American data was then analyzed and weighted by our statisticians according to gender, age, region, race/ethnicity and household size in order to render a representative sample of the general population.
For comparison, a probability sample of 1,539 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.5%, 19 times out of 20, while a probability sample of 1,001 would have a margin of error of ±3.1%, 19 times out of 20. The research results presented here are in full compliance with the CRIC Public Opinion Research Standards and Disclosure Requirements.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND MORE! DOWNLOAD IT BELOW FOR THE FULL RESULTS.
- In your opinion, should governments make wearing a mask mandatory in all indoor public spaces (public transit, restaurants, grocery stores, shops, etc.)?
- Which statement is closest to your personal feelings towards wearing the mask in public places?
- Over the past few weeks there have been so-called “anti-mask” protests in North America, in some European countries and elsewhere. Based on what you have seen or heard about the reasons for these protests, do you tend to …
- In your view, what is the likelihood that, over the next three months, that we will go back to a pandemic lockdown, with business closures and stay-at-home orders (similar to March and April)?
- What statement best describes your personal opinion of the COVID-19 crisis for Canada/United States?