THIS SURVEY EXPLORES CANADIANS’ PERSPECTIVES ON THE 2022 FEDERAL BUDGET AND THE CONSERVATIVE LEADERSHIP RACE.
On April 7, 2022, the Government of Canada released the 2022 federal budget.
Our latest North American Tracker explored Canadians’ perspectives on the budget, including whether they think it is a step in the right or wrong direction, their perspectives on the amounts allocated to certain federal budget initiatives and more.
We also asked Canadians their opinions on the Conservative Party of Canada leadership race.
This survey is conducted in collaboration with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in the Canadian Press. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
Would you like to be the first to receive these results? Subscribe to our newsletter now.
The 2022 Federal Budget
- Opinions on the 2022 federal budget are split: 38% of Canadians think it is a step in the right direction, 32% think it is a step in the wrong direction and 30% don’t know.
- 30% of Canadians think the budget will have a negative impact on them/their household, 26% think it will have a positive impact, 25% think it will have no impact and 19% are unsure.
- 57% of Canadians think the federal government should have spent more on initiatives to fight rising inflation in Canada in the federal budget.
- 49% of Canadians think the federal government is allocating the right amount to the national defence budget, 34% think it should be spending more, and 18% think it should be spending less.
- 47% of Canadians feel the size of the federal deficit is acceptable given what needs to be accomplished.
The Conservative Party Leadership Race
- Among Conservative voters, Pierre Poilievre continues to be the frontrunner in the Conservative Party leadership race.
This web survey was conducted from April 8 to April 10, 2022, with 1,538 Canadians, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
A margin of error cannot be associated with a non-probability sample in a panel survey. For comparison, a probability sample of 1,538 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.5%, 19 times out of 20.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND MORE!
- Based on what you have seen or heard, do you believe that the federal government budget announced on April 7th is a step in the right or the wrong direction?
- Do you believe that what was announced in the budget will have a positive or negative impact on you and your household?
- When it comes to the following categories, would you prefer that the federal government spend more or spend less than what was announced in the budget?
- The people listed below have indicated their intention to run to be leader of the Conservative Party of Canada. Based on what you know or have heard so far, which of these individuals do you feel would make the best leader for the Conservative Party?
- Based on what you know so far or what you have heard or seen, which of the following individuals would be the best leader of the Conservative Party to defeat the Liberals in the next election?