DOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORT AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE
We survey Canadians and Americans to explore their perspectives on COVID-19 and other current events. Stay up to date on the latest trends and discover our most recent results below.
This survey is conducted in collaboration with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in the Canadian Press. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
Would you like to be first to receive these results? Subscribe to our newsletter now.
The Derek Chauvin Trial and Police Relations
- 84% of Canadians and 63% of Americans think Derek Chauvin’s conviction is good news.
- 70% of Canadians think that relations between police officers and the public in their area are better than in the United States.
- Canadians are more likely than Americans to approve of the performance of the police forces in their communities in terms of:
- Protecting the public
- Holding police officers accountable for their actions
- The appropriate use of force
- About half of Americans think the court’s guilty verdict in Chauvin’s murder trial will have a positive impact on ensuring police forces are held accountable for their actions in the future, and the training of police officers. Over two-thirds of Canadians feel the same.
This web survey was conducted from April 23, 2021 to April 25, 2021 with 1,548 Canadians and 1,003 Americans, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
For comparison, a probability sample of 1,548 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.49%, 19 times out of 20, while a probability sample of 1,003 would have a margin of error of ±3.09%, 19 times out of 20.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND MORE!
- To what extent would you say you approve or disapprove of the performance of the police forces in your community, when it comes to …
- Do you think that relations between police officers and the public in your area are better than, comparable to, or worse than in the United States / in Canada?
- Last Tuesday on April 20th, former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin was found guilty on three counts of murder of George Floyd. Mr. Chauvin is now awaiting sentencing. For you personally, is the court’s decision good news or bad news?
- Do you believe that this guilty verdict of the court will have a positive impact, negative impact, or will have no impact on the following…
- What statement best describes your personal opinion of the COVID-19 crisis for Canada/the United States?