THIS SURVEY EXPLORES CANADIANS’ PERSPECTIVES ON THE FREEDOM CONVOY, FEDERAL POLITICS AND MORE.
In late January 2022, a “Freedom Convoy” began making its way to Ottawa to protest COVID-19 vaccination requirements and other pandemic restrictions. The protest shows no sign of slowing down, and over the weekend, Ottawa declared a state of emergency. In other news, Erin O’Toole is no longer the leader of the Conservative Party of Canada (CPC).
We asked Canadians to share their perspectives on the Freedom Convoy and who they would like the next leader of the CPC to be. We also asked Americans to share their views on federal politics in the United States.
This survey is conducted in collaboration with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in the Canadian Press. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
Would you like to be the first to receive these results? Subscribe to our newsletter now.
The Freedom Convoy
- The Freedom Convoy is dividing Canadians (32% support, 62% oppose).
- 65% of Canadians think the Freedom Convoy represents a small minority of selfish Canadians.
- Canadians are divided on whether the premier and prime ministers share the blame for the protest in Ottawa (44% agree, 45% disagree).
The Next Conservative Party Leader
- Pierre Poilievre is the early favourite among Tory voters.
This web survey was conducted from February 4 to February 6, 2022, with 1,546 Canadians and 1,005 Americans, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
For comparison, a probability sample of 1,546 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.49%, 19 times out of 20, while a probability sample of 1,005 would have a margin of error of ±3.091%, 19 times out of 20.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND MORE!
- Which of the following would you prefer to be the next leader of the Conservative Party of Canada (CPC)?
- Overall, do you support the message the trucker convoy (also known as Freedom Convoy) protests are conveying of no vaccine mandates and less public health measures, or do you oppose the message?
- Please indicate the extent to which you agree or disagree with each of the following statements about the trucker convoy (also known as the Freedom Convoy) protest in Ottawa.
- Which of the following Democratic politicians/celebrities do you think should run for president in 2024?
- Which of the following Republican politicians/celebrities do you think should run for president in 2024?