DOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORT AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE
We survey Canadians and Americans to explore their perspectives on COVID-19 and other current events. Stay up to date on the latest trends and discover our most recent results below.
This survey is conducted in collaboration with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in the Canadian Press. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
Would you like to be first to receive these results? Subscribe to our newsletter now.
- 61% of Canadians and 43% of Americans think the election of Joe Biden as President of the United States will improve Canada-US relations.
- 47% of Canadians think that Biden promoting Buy American policies will negatively impact the Canadian economy, 40% think it will have no real impact, and 13% think it will have a positive impact.
- Given the choice between taking significant steps to address climate change and growing the US economy at all costs, 56% of Canadians think Biden should prioritize addressing climate change. Americans are more divided: 37% think he should prioritize addressing climate change, and 40% think he should prioritize the economy.
- The top 5 people Americans would like to see play a significant political role in the coming years are Bernie Sanders (39%), Donald Trump (35%), Mike Pence (31%), Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (30%), and Pete Buttigieg (29%).
This web survey was conducted from January 29, 2021 to January 31, 2021 with 1,559 Canadians and 1,000 Americans, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
For comparison, a probability sample of 1,559 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.48%, 19 times out of 20, while a probability sample of 1,000 would have a margin of error of ±3.09%, 19 times out of 20.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND MORE!
- Do you think that the election of Joe Biden as President of the United States will improve, worsen or not change Canada-US relations?
- Do you think that the election of Joe Biden as President of the United States will improve, worsen or not change the state of the economy in Canada/the United States?
- President Biden has declared that he will promote Buy American policies during his mandate. Do you believe this will have a positive, negative or no real impact on the Canadian economy?
- Should Donald Trump be allowed to run for President in 2024?
- Would you like the following people to play a significant political role in the coming years?