DOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORT AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE
Every two weeks, we survey Canadians and Americans to explore their perspectives on COVID-19 and other current events. Stay up to date on the latest trends and discover our most recent results below.
This survey is conducted in collaboration with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in the Canadian Press. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
Would you like to be first to receive these results every two weeks? Subscribe to our newsletter now.
A COVID-19 CURFEW
- 3 out of 4 Quebecers are in favour of the night-time curfew imposed to help control the spread of the virus, but 32% doubt its effectiveness.
- 39% of Canadians who live outside Quebec feel that a night-time curfew would be an effective way to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in their community, 41% do not, and 20% are unsure.
AT THEIR LOWEST…
- The proportion of Canadians who report that their mental health has been excellent/very good since the beginning of the COVID-19 crisis (32%) has been gradually trending downward since November 16, 2020, and has reached its lowest point.
- Canadians’ overall satisfaction with the measures put in place by their federal (60%), provincial (58%) and local/municipal (57%) governments to fight the COVID-19 pandemic is at its lowest since March 23, 2020.
TRUMP AND SOCIAL MEDIA
- 78% of Canadians and 56% of Americans agree with the social media sites that have decided to ban Donald Trump.
- 86% of Canadians and 66% of Americans think social media sites should ban users who are inciting violence, promoting hatred, or sharing misinformation.
This web survey was conducted from January 15, 2021 to January 17, 2021 with 1,506 Canadians and 1,003 Americans, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
For comparison, a probability sample of 1,506 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.53%, 19 times out of 20, while a probability sample of 1,003 would have a margin of error of ±3.09%, 19 times out of 20.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND MORE!
- From January 9 to February 8, the Quebec government has imposed a night-time curfew to help control the spread of the virus. Do you support or oppose this night-time curfew?
- Do you believe that a night-time curfew in your province would be an effective way to reduce the spread of the virus in your community?
- In the aftermath of the attack on the U.S. Congress building on January 6th, numerous social media sites, including Twitter and Facebook, banned Donald Trump from being able to post on their platforms. Do you agree with this decision?
- Do you feel, even with all he has said about the election and the events on Capitol Hill earlier this month, he should still attend Biden’s inauguration?
- Since the beginning of the COVID-19 crisis, how would you rate your mental health?