This survey explores Canadians’ and Americans’ perspectives on the health care system where they live.
We surveyed Canadians and Americans about their satisfaction with the health care system in their province/state and area, their satisfaction with certain elements of the health care system, and whether they have visited the emergency room in the past year.
This survey is conducted in collaboration with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in the Canadian Press. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
Would you like to be first to receive these results? Subscribe to our newsletter now.
DOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORT AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE.
Satisfaction with the Health Care System
- Canadians (56%) are more satisfied with the health care system in their province than Americans (47%) are with the health care system in their state.
- In terms of certain elements of the health care system, Canadians and Americans are most satisfied with:
- The competence of health care professionals (75% of Canadians, 66% of Americans)
- The quality of care offered (71% of Canadians, 66% of Americans)
- Access to a family doctor (62% of Canadians, 76% of Americans)
- Canadians are least satisfied with the wait time in emergency rooms (22% satisfied), while Americans are least satisfied with the cost of medications (37%).
- 39% of Canadians and 30% of Americans say they have visited the emergency room in the past year, either for themselves or for someone they know.
This web survey was conducted from July 2, 2021 to July 4, 2021 with 1,518 Canadians and 1,003 Americans, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
For comparison, a probability sample of 1,518 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.52%, 19 times out of 20, while a probability sample of 1,003 would have a margin of error of ±3.09%, 19 times out of 20.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND MORE!
- In general, are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the health care system in your province/state?
- Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with access to the health care system in your area?
- Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the following elements of the health care system?
- Have you been to the emergency room for a health problem for yourself or someone you know in the past year?