THIS SURVEY EXPLORES CANADIANS’ AND AMERICANS’ PERSPECTIVES ON THE RUSSIA-UKRAINE CONFLICT.
Over two weeks after Russia launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine on February 24, 2022, the Russia-Ukraine conflict continues.
In our latest North American Tracker, we asked Canadians and Americans to share their perspectives on several topics related to the Russia-Ukraine conflict, including whether they feel it has the potential to develop into a world war, whether they think Vladimir Putin will use nuclear weapons and their opinions on the conflict in general.
This survey is conducted in collaboration with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in the Canadian Press. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
Would you like to be the first to receive these results? Subscribe to our newsletter now.
DOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORT AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE.
The Russia-Ukraine Conflict
- Canadians and Americans are uncertain about the outcome of the Russia-Ukraine conflict.
- Overall, Canadians and Americans are concerned that the Russia-Ukraine conflict will escalate.
- 74% of Canadians and 66% of Americans think the conflict has the potential to develop into a world war.
- 64% of Canadians and 57% of Americans think the conflict could last for many years.
- 47% of Canadians and 41% of Americans think Putin and Russia will use nuclear weapons if the conflict does not go the way Russia wants.
- Canadians and Americans are divided on imposing a no-fly zone over Ukraine: 47% and 44% respectively agree that one should be established, even if it risks escalating the conflict.
This web survey was conducted from March 11 to March 13, 2022, with 1,515 Canadians and 1,002 Americans, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
A margin of error cannot be associated with a non-probability sample in a panel survey. For comparison, a probability sample of 1,515 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.5%, 19 times out of 20, while a probability sample of 1,014 would have a margin of error of ±3.096%, 19 times out of 20.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND MORE!
- Do you think the Russian invasion of Ukraine has the potential to develop into a world war?
- In the end, who do you think will win the conflict?
- Do you think that Vladimir Putin and Russia will use nuclear weapons if the conflict does not go the way Russia wants?
- Please indicate the extent to which you agree or disagree with the following statements about the Russia-Ukraine conflict.