This survey explores Canadians’ and Americans’ 2021 summer vacation plans.
With the COVID-19 pandemic still present in North America, what are Canadians and Americans planning to do this summer? It appears that staycations are again the preferred option.
This survey is conducted in collaboration with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in the Canadian Press. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
Would you like to be first to receive these results? Subscribe to our newsletter now.
Download the full report at the end of this article.
2021 Summer Vacation Plans
- 31% of Canadians and 41% of Americans say they are likely to take a summer vacation in 2021.
- Canadians who are likely to take a summer vacation in 2021 are most likely to plan to take day trips locally where they live (63%) or go on a longer trip within their province (50%).
- Americans who are likely to take a summer vacation in 2021 are most likely to plan to take a trip to other states (57%) or take day trips locally where they live (56%).
- 57% of Canadians say they will not feel comfortable travelling to the United States again until next year (2022), and 32% of Americans say the same about travelling to Canada.
This web survey was conducted from May 7, 2021 to May 9, 2021 with 1,529 Canadians and 1,003 Americans, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
For comparison, a probability sample of 1,529 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.51%, 19 times out of 20, while a probability sample of 1,003 would have a margin of error of ±3.09%, 19 times out of 20.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND MORE!
- How likely are you to take a summer vacation in 2021?
- Which activities are likely or somewhat likely to be part of your summer vacation plans?
- When do you think you will feel comfortable travelling again in the U.S./Canada?
- On a scale from 1 to 5, where 1 is very uncomfortable and 5 is very comfortable, how comfortable do you think you will be with each of the following vacation statements once the coronavirus pandemic has ended?