DOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORT AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE
Conducted in collaboration with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in the Canadian Press. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
86% of Canadians and 79% of Americans think wearing a face covering/protective mask on public transit should be mandatory.
- 51% of Canadians and 60% of Americans currently find it stressful to leave their house and be in public.
- Over the past couple of weeks, fear of contracting the coronavirus has been trending upward among Canadians.
IN THE NEWS: MENG WANZHOU AND AIR TRAVEL
Canadians are split on whether Meng Wanzhou should be released from Canadian custody and allowed to return to China in an effort to free Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor (32% yes, 36% no, 32% don’t know enough).
72% of Canadians oppose Transport Minister Marc Garneau’s decision to not force airlines to offer refunds to passengers.
Some airlines have relaxed in-flight physical distancing requirements (allowing passengers to be seated next to each other, selling adjacent seats, but maintaining the requirement to wear a face mask). 72% of Canadians and 63% of Americans are uncomfortable flying under these conditions.
86% of Canadians and 36% of Americans disagree with reopening the Canada-US borders at the end of July.
This web survey was conducted from July 3 to July 5, 2020, with 1,517 Canadians and 1,006 Americans, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
Using data from the 2016 Census, the results were weighted by gender, age, mother tongue, region, education level and presence of children in the household in order to ensure a representative sample of the population.
For comparison, a probability sample of 1,517 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.52%, 19 times out of 20, while a probability sample of 1,006 would have a margin of error of +3.1%, 19 times out of 20. The research results presented here are in full compliance with the CRIC Public Opinion Research Standards and Disclosure Requirements.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS, AND MORE! DOWNLOAD IT BELOW FOR THE FULL RESULTS.
- Should Huawei executive, Meng Wanzhou, be released from Canadian custody and allowed to return to China in an effort to free two Canadians, Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor, being held in Chinese custody?
- Now that some travel wholesalers are back in business and destinations in the south and Europe are reopened to tourists, do you plan to travel outside the country by the end of the year?
- Do you agree or disagree with the reopening of the borders between Canada and the United States at the end of July, allowing American tourists to enter the country?
- Should the wearing of a face covering or protective mask be mandatory in public transit (subway, train or bus) across Canada / The United States as a way to reduce the risk of spreading the COVID-19 virus?
- At what point do you expect to resume doing the activities below…