DOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORT AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE
Every week, we survey Canadians and Americans to explore their perspectives on COVID-19 and other current events. Stay up to date on the latest trends and discover our most recent results below.
This survey is conducted in collaboration with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in the Canadian Press. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
Would you like to be first to receive these results every week? Subscribe to our newsletter now.
A COVID-19 VACCINE
- 63% of Canadians and 47% of Americans state that they intend to get the COVID-19 vaccine when it has been approved by Health Canada/the FDA and is available to the public free of charge.
- 65% of Canadians and 45% of Americans think that when an approved COVID-19 vaccine is available in their respective countries, it should be made available to certain groups before others (i.e. on a priority basis).
- If the COVID-19 vaccine is made available on a priority basis, Canadians and Americans think that institutional healthcare workers (doctors, nurses, aides, etc.) and seniors (aged 65+) should receive it first.
TRUMP AND THE VIRUS
- 72% of Canadians and 44% of Americans think Trump’s decisions and actions during his recovery from COVID-19 were very reckless and endangered others.
- When asked to choose between the two, 72% of Canadians and 63% of Americans feel that preventing the spread of COVID-19 is more important than preventing economic fallout and job losses.
This web survey was conducted from October 9-11, 2020, with 1,539 Canadians and 1,000 Americans, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
For comparison, a probability sample of 1,539 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.50%, 19 times out of 20, while a probability sample of 1,000 would have a margin of error of ±3.1%, 19 times out of 20.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND MORE!
- There are numerous vaccines being worked on around the world. When do you think an approved vaccine will be available for general public use in Canada/the United States?
- When a vaccine for COVID-19 that had been approved by Health Canada/the FDA becomes available to the population and it is free, do you intend to get vaccinated?
- If the Government of Canada/the Federal Government decides that the vaccine will be made available to certain segments of the population first on a priority basis, who should be first to receive the vaccine?
- Which of the following best describes President Trump’s decisions and actions during his recovery from COVID-19 infection?
- In the past month which of the following public health safety measures have you relaxed? Select all that apply.