DOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORT AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE
Every week, we survey Canadians and Americans to explore their perspectives on COVID-19 and other current events. Stay up to date on the latest trends and discover our most recent results below.
This survey is conducted in collaboration with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in the Canadian Press. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
Would you like to be first to receive these results every week? Subscribe to our newsletter now.
CONTROVERSY AT THE UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA
- 43% of Canadians are aware of the recent controversy related to a University of Ottawa professor using an offensive word in class.
- 57% of Canadians tend to support the professor over the students in the recent University of Ottawa controversy.
- 75% of Canadians think we should protect freedom of expression at all costs in our universities (including the use of certain culturally insensitive words if used to stimulate broader discussion), while 25% think we should limit freedom of expression in our universities and ban certain words/expressions that may be offensive to some (regardless of context).
- 14% of Canadians and 25% of Americans think their federal government is managing the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic better than the first wave.
- The proportion of Canadians (30%) who think that we are in the worst period of the COVID-19 crisis now continues to trend upward.
This web survey was conducted from October 23-25, 2020, with 1,523 Canadians and 1,000 Americans, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
For comparison, a probability sample of 1,523 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.51%, 19 times out of 20, while a probability sample of 1,000 would have a margin of error of ±3.1%, 19 times out of 20.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND MORE!
- Have you heard, read or seen something in the news about a controversy surrounding the use in class of a certain offensive word by a University of Ottawa professor?
- From your perspective, how do you feel the FEDERAL government has managed the 2nd wave of the COVID-19 pandemic compared to how they managed the initial wave back in March/April of this year. Are they…?
- What is the FEDERAL government doing BETTER? What is the FEDERAL government doing WORSE?
- From your perspective, how do you feel your PROVINCIAL/STATE government has managed the 2nd wave of the COVID-19 pandemic compared to how they managed the initial wave back in March/April of this year. Are they…
- What is the PROVINCIAL/STATE government doing BETTER? What is the PROVINCIAL/STATE government doing WORSE?