Canadians’ Approval of Justin Trudeau

November 15, 2023

From November 10 to 12, 2023, we surveyed Canadians to know more about their opinion on Justin Trudeau and other party leaders, their approval of Trudeau, and their satisfaction with the Liberal government’s handling of various issues.

Download the report to learn more.

Some of the key highlights of our survey on the approval of Justin Trudeau include…

SATISFACTION WITH JUSTIN TRUDEAU’S GOVERNMENT

  • Satisfaction with Justin Trudeau’s government remains low, with only 30% of Canadians saying they are satisfied, compared with 63% who are dissatisfied.
  • Over one-quarter of Canadians (27%) think that Pierre Poilievre would make the best Prime Minister, putting him well ahead of Justin Trudeau (17%).
  • 61% of Canadians have a negative impression of Trudeau, while 45% feel the same way about Poilievre. Among the current issues mentioned, the Liberal government’s handling of affordable housing and coping with high inflation received the highest dissatisfaction rates, with 81% and 75% of Canadians dissatisfied respectively.

PERSPECTIVES ON TRUDEAU RESIGNING

  • 51% of Canadian voters would like Justin Trudeau to resign before the next election to make way for a new leader. This percentage is consistent with results obtained in July 2022, which showed that 49% of Canadians wanted Trudeau to step down.
  • Among Conservative voters, the proportion who would like Trudeau to resign before the next election is even higher, at 72%.
  • 72% of Canadians think that after 9 years and three mandates, it is time to try something different with a new prime minister.

NDP VOTERS’ PERSPECTIVES ON THE LIBERALS, CONSERVATIVES, AND VOTING INTENTIONS

  • If the race between Trudeau’s Liberals and Poilievre’s Conservatives was fairly tight, 59% of NDP voters would vote for the NDP no matter who was leading, 28% would vote Liberal to try to block the Conservatives, and 3% would vote Conservative to block the Liberals. Changing the leader of the Liberal Party will not have a significant impact on NDP voters’ voting intentions. If Trudeau was replaced by a new leader, 35% say there would be a high probability they would vote liberal, while 65% say the probability would be low.

METHODOLOGY 

This web survey was conducted from October 20 to 22, 2023, with 1,612 Canadians 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel. 

A margin of error cannot be associated with a non-probability sample in a panel survey. For comparison, a probability sample of 1,612 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.44 %, 19 times out of 20. 

Related Posts

HEC Montréal awards an honorary doctorate to Jean-Marc Léger

Montreal, May 22, 2024 – At its May 21, 2024, convocation ceremony, HEC Montréal paid tribute to Jean-Marc Léger, economist and founding president of Léger Marketing, by awarding him an honorary doctorate. This honorary distinction bestowed by the School underscores...

Inflation and Grocery Stores Boycott

From May 17 to May 19, 2024, we surveyed Canadians to find out their opinions and perceptions on the impact of inflation in grocery stores and the Loblaws Boycott. Some of the key highlights of our survey on grocery stores boycott and inflation…​ Almost two-thirds of...

Abortion Rights in Canada

From May 10 to May 12, 2024, we surveyed Canadians to find out their opinions and perceptions on abortion rights and how the situation in the United States could affect theirs in Canada.Some of the key highlights of our survey on abortion rights include… A majority of...

Summer Travel Plans

Leger’s Travel & Tourism Series will provide insights on key topics and trends within the travel and tourism sector that focus on Canadians’ travel behaviours, perceptions, and preferences. The third edition offers comparisons on travel behaviours and attitudes...

Get the latest in your inbox

Stay up to date on cutting-edge research, news and more.