Each week, Leger will publish a survey conducted in partnership with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS), and published in The Canadian Press, to help governments, businesses and citizens better understand the attitudes and behaviours of Canadians in the face of the current health and economic crisis. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
HIGHLIGHTS (April 7, 2020)
NEW: In addition to data on how Canadians’ behaviours are changing with respect to COVID-19, you’ll have access to a comparison between Canadians and Americans.
Leger’s latest survey about COVID-19, conducted in partnership with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in The Canadian Press, from April 3-5, 2020 among 1,512 Canadians and 1,000 Americans reveals that 44% of Canadians and 41% of Americans have experienced a decrease in their income due to the COVID-19 crisis.
To help companies adjust, Leger has launched a new tool, the 24 Hour Express Survey to help management stay connected with their customers and make business decisions faster. Learn more here.
This web survey was conducted from April 3 to April 5, 2020, with 1,512 Canadians and 1,000 Americans, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
Using data from the 2016 Census, the results were weighted by gender, age, mother tongue, region, education level and presence of children in the household in order to ensure a representative sample of the population.
For comparison, a probability sample of 1,512 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.52%, 19 times out of 20, while a probability sample of 1,000 would have a margin of error of +3.09%, 19 times out of 20. The research results presented here are in full compliance with the CRIC Public Opinion Research Standards and Disclosure Requirements.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS. DOWNLOAD IT BELOW FOR THE FULL RESULTS.
- Are you personally afraid of contracting the COVID-19 (Coronavirus)?
- Are you afraid that someone in your immediate family will be contracting the COVID-19 (Coronavirus)?
- Do you believe that the COVID-19 pandemic is a real threat or is it being blown out of proportion?
- Do you currently have one or more of the common symptoms associated with the COVID-19 (coronavirus) virus?
- Do you think this or these symptoms are due to COVID-19?
- Do you personally know someone who has received a diagnosis that they actually have the virus?
- How much of a threat is the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak for…?
- Since the beginning of the crisis, have you done any of the following:
- In the past week, have you done any of the following:
- In the past week, have you personally witnessed any events in which people did not respect the measures put in place to fight the COVID-19 virus?
- Over the past week, which of the following did you do?
- At the moment, has the current crisis had a negative impact on you financially, when it comes to the following:
- Since the beginning of the crisis have you…?
- To this day, are you satisfied or not with the measures put in place to fight the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic by the following?
- Would you agree or disagree if governments took the following steps to contain the COVID-19 pandemic?
- What statement best describes your personal opinion of the COVID-19 crisis for Canada/United States?