DOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORT AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE
We survey Canadians and Americans to explore their perspectives on COVID-19 and other current events. Stay up to date on the latest trends and discover our most recent results below.
This survey is conducted in collaboration with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in the Canadian Press. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
Would you like to be first to receive these results? Subscribe to our newsletter now.
Business and Service Closures
- More than two-thirds of Canadians think that sports stadiums (79%), movie theatres and show venues (73%) and sports facilities and gyms (69%) should be closed where they live.
- Canadians and Americans who do not intend to get vaccinated or don’t know if they will get vaccinated are most likely to agree that:
- We don’t really know the long-term effects of the COVID-19 vaccines.
- The side effects caused by the vaccines could be dangerous to their health.
- The safety of the vaccines has not been adequately tested.
Trends Over Time
- 46% of Canadians think we are in the worst period of the COVID-19 crisis now, representing an increase of 14 percentage points compared to two weeks ago.
- Canadians’ satisfaction with the measures their federal (52%), provincial (49%), and local/municipal (52%) governments have put in place to fight the pandemic is at its lowest point since March 2020.
This web survey was conducted from April 9, 2021 to April 11, 2021 with 1,504 Canadians and 1,002 Americans, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
For comparison, a probability sample of 1,504 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.53%, 19 times out of 20, while a probability sample of 1,002 would have a margin of error of ±3.09%, 19 times out of 20.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND MORE!
- In your opinion, should each of the following where you live be closed or be allowed to open/stay open (regardless of whether they are currently open or closed)?
- When do you think life will return to normal?
- Since the beginning of the COVID-19 crisis, how would you rate your mental health?
- What statement best describes your personal opinion of the COVID-19 crisis for Canada/the United States?