THIS SURVEY EXPLORES CANADIANS’ AND AMERICANS’ PERSPECTIVES ON THE OMICRON VARIANT.
On November 26, 2021, the World Health Organization designated the Omicron variant of COVID-19 a variant of concern. Cases of the Omicron variant have been detected on all continents excluding Antarctica. Given the spread of Omicron, we asked Canadians and Americans a series of questions about their perspectives on this new variant.
This survey is conducted in collaboration with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in the Canadian Press. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
Would you like to be the first to receive these results? Subscribe to our newsletter now.
DOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORT AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE.
The Omicron Variant
- 65% of Canadians and 57% of Americans think the Canada/U.S. borders should be closed for a period of time due to the Omicron variant.
- Given the spread of the Omicron variant, Canadians (78%) are more in favour than Americans (63%) of their government accelerating plans to introduce a booster/third dose of the COVID-19 vaccine for certain populations.
- 64% of Canadians and 49% of Americans think that COVID-19 vaccination should become mandatory for all residents of their country* given the Omicron variant.
**Excluding infants/those with known medical restrictions.
- The proportion of Canadians and Americans who think the worst of the COVID-19 crisis is yet to come is trending upward again.
This web survey was conducted from December 3 to December 5, 2021, with 1,547 Canadians and 1,004 Americans, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
For comparison, a probability sample of 1,547 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.49%, 19 times out of 20, while a probability sample of 1,004 would have a margin of error of ±3.09%, 19 times out of 20.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND MORE!
- Based on what you know or have heard, will the impact of the Omicron variant be worse, the same or less, compared to the Delta variant of the summer on…
- As new cases of the Omicron variants are announced, are you in favour or opposed to the following measures?
- Were you planning to travel abroad over the holiday period or during the winter?
- To this day, are you satisfied or not with the measures put in place to fight the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic by the following?
- What statement best describes your personal opinion of the COVID-19 crisis for Canada/United States?