THIS SURVEY EXPLORES AMERICANS’ AND CANADIANS’ PERSPECTIVES ON GUN CONTROL AND THE OPIOID CRISIS.
With the tragic recent wave of mass shootings in the United States, gun control has returned to the federal agenda in the country and in Canada. In Canadian news, British Columbia recently announced the planned decriminalization of small amounts of illicit drugs.
In this context, our latest North American Tracker asked Canadians and Americans to share their perspectives on gun control and gun violence. We also asked them several questions on the opioid epidemic and their views on legalization and decriminalization.
This survey is conducted in collaboration with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in the Canadian Press. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
Would you like to be the first to receive these results? Subscribe to our newsletter now.
- 68% of Canadians and 88% of Americans think gun violence is a serious problem in their country.
- 62% of Canadians and 64% of Americans think their country should have stricter gun control regulations.
THE OPIOID CRISIS
- 36% of Canadians and 29% of Americans support decriminalizing hard drugs in their province/state. A smaller proportion (25% of Canadians and 21% of Americans) support legalizing these drugs.
- 29% of Canadians and 30% of Americans think their provincial/state government is handling the opioid crisis well. Even fewer (24% of Canadians and 23% of Americans) think their federal government is handling it well.
This web survey was conducted from June 10-12, 2022, with 1,528 Canadians and 1,006 Americans, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
A margin of error cannot be associated with a non-probability sample in a panel survey. For comparison, a probability sample of 1,528 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.5%, 19 times out of 20, while a probability sample of 1,006 respondents would have a margin of error of ±3.09%, 19 times out of 20.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND MORE!
- When it comes to gun control in Canada/the United States, which of the following best represents your opinion?
- How serious a problem is gun violence in…
- Whether or not certain drugs are legal or not legal in your province/state, do you currently support or oppose…
- How would you rate the job the provincial/state and federal governments are doing in their handling of the opioid crisis?
- What is the number one issue facing Canada today? What is the second most important issue? The third most important issue?