This survey explores Canadians’ and Americans’ perspectives on sending COVID-19 vaccine doses to developing countries.
As the COVID-19 vaccination campaigns progress across Canada and the United States, we asked Canadians and Americans to tell us whether they feel richer countries should be responsible for sending vaccine doses to developing countries, and what they think their country’s strategy should be with respect to this.
This survey is conducted in collaboration with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in the Canadian Press. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
Would you like to be first to receive these results? Subscribe to our newsletter now.
DOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORT AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE.
Paying to Send COVID-19 Vaccine Doses to Developing Countries
- 76% of Canadians and 64% of Americans agree that richer countries should pay to send COVID-19 vaccine doses to help developing countries fight the pandemic.
- Canadians (60%) are more likely than Americans (52%) to want to wait until the vaccination campaign is completed in their country before sending vaccine doses to other countries.
- A minority of Canadians (7%) and Americans (16%) believe that vaccines are dangerous and should be avoided.
This web survey was conducted from June 18, 2021 to June 20, 2021 with 1,542 Canadians and 1,001 Americans, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
For comparison, a probability sample of 1,542 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.49%, 19 times out of 20, while a probability sample of 1,001 would have a margin of error of ±3.09%, 19 times out of 20.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND MORE!
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: “It is the responsibility of richer countries, like Canada/the United States, to pay to send doses of COVID-19 vaccines to help developing countries worldwide fight the pandemic.”?
- Some countries, like Canada/the United States, have announced that they will purchase and send doses of COVID-19 vaccines to developing countries. Which statement best represents your opinion about what should be our strategy:
- Do you personally believe vaccines are dangerous and should not be taken or given?