DOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORT AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE
Conducted in collaboration with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in the Canadian Press. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
- Among Canadians, fear of contracting COVID-19 continues to climb.
- 33% of Canadians think governments should slow down the pace at which they are relaxing social distancing/self-isolation measures, an increase of 7% from last week.
- 50% of Canadians and 62% of Americans do not think we have reached the end of the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.
IN THE NEWS: BACK TO SCHOOL
Asked to Canadians/Americans with school-age children
- 62% of Canadians and 70% of Americans are worried about children going back to school at the end of the summer.
- 62% of Canadians and 79% of Americans think that children should be required to wear masks (either all the time at school/on school buses, or only outside of class during recess, lunch, and on school buses).
- 59% of Canadians and 65% of Americans support a hybrid school week (i.e. their children in the classroom at school for a few days a week and receiving school lessons at home a few days a week).
This web survey was conducted from July 17 to July 19, 2020, with 1,524 Canadians and 1,004 Americans, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
Using data from the 2016 Census, the results were weighted by gender, age, mother tongue, region, education level and presence of children in the household in order to ensure a representative sample of the population.
For comparison, a probability sample of 1,524 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.51%, 19 times out of 20, while a probability sample of 1,004 would have a margin of error of +3.09%, 19 times out of 20. The research results presented here are in full compliance with the CRIC Public Opinion Research Standards and Disclosure Requirements.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND MORE! DOWNLOAD IT BELOW FOR THE FULL RESULTS.
- Thinking ahead to 6 months from today, will the economic and job situation in your province/state be better, about the same, or worse?
- Are you worried or not worried about children going back to school at the end of the summer?
- Do you support or are you opposed to a hybrid school week where for a few days a week your child would be in the classroom at school and a few days a week he or she would be receiving school lessons at home?
- Over the past two weeks, would you say that the number of cases of COVID-19 in your province/state has…
- Which statement best describes your personal opinion of the COVID-19 crisis for Canada/The United States?