DOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORT AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE
Conducted in collaboration with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in the Canadian Press. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
- 77% of Canadians think there will be a second wave of the virus.
- 58% of Canadians and 70% of Americans think it should be mandatory to wear a mask when in public and confined spaces.
- Americans are more likely than Canadians to report they wear a mask when going grocery shopping (81% vs 56%), going to the pharmacy (65% vs 52%), using public transit (33% vs 22%), working in their office/workplace (35% vs 22%), and going for a walk (36% vs 14%).
IN THE NEWS: CANADIAN VS AMERICAN PRIDE
- Canadians (90%) are prouder to be Canadian than Americans (74%) are to be American.
- 73% of Canadians think the National Flag (Maple Leaf) is the most iconic, recognizable symbol of Canada, followed by the RCMP (20%) and Ice Hockey (18%).
This web survey was conducted from June 26 to June 28, 2020, with 1,524 Canadians and 1,005 Americans, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
Using data from the 2016 Census, the results were weighted by gender, age, mother tongue, region, education level and presence of children in the household in order to ensure a representative sample of the population.
For comparison, a probability sample of 1,524 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.51%, 19 times out of 20, while a probability sample of 1,005 would have a margin of error of +3.1%, 19 times out of 20. The research results presented here are in full compliance with the CRIC Public Opinion Research Standards and Disclosure Requirements.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS, AND MORE! DOWNLOAD IT BELOW FOR THE FULL RESULTS.
- Are you proud to be a Canadian/an American?
- What do you feel is the most iconic, recognizable symbol of Canada?
- People identify with different things or ideas when it comes to making them a ‘proud’ Canadian/American. Please rate how important the following items are in terms of making you most proud to be a Canadian/American.
- Do you think we’ve reached the end of the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic?