DOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORT AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE
Every week, we survey Canadians and Americans to explore their perspectives on COVID-19 and other current events. Stay up to date on the latest trends and discover our most recent results below.
This survey is conducted in collaboration with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in the Canadian Press. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
IN THE NEWS
- Over half of Canadians (52%) do not know Erin O’Toole well enough to answer whether they have a favourable or unfavourable impression of him, and 9% have never heard of him. 21% have a favourable impression, and 18% have an unfavourable impression.
- Over three-quarters (78%) of Canadians think that if federal elections are held this fall, all voters should have the option to vote by mail due to the pandemic.
- Among American decided voters who are registered to vote and intend to vote in the next election, 53% would vote for Biden if an election were held today, while 45% would vote for Trump.
- Canadians (75%) are more likely than Americans (65%) to feel that the amount of fear surrounding COVID-19 is sensible given the seriousness of the pandemic.
This web survey was conducted from August 28-30, 2020, with 1,521 Canadians and 1,003 Americans, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
Using 2016 Census reference variables, the Canadian data was then analyzed and weighted by our statisticians according to gender, age, mother tongue, region, education level and the presence of children in households in order to render a representative sample of the general population. Using 2010 U.S. Census reference variables, the American data was then analyzed and weighted by our statisticians according to gender, age, region, race/ethnicity and household size in order to render a representative sample of the general population.
For comparison, a probability sample of 1,521 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.51%, 19 times out of 20, while a probability sample of 1,003 would have a margin of error of ±3.1%, 19 times out of 20. The research results presented here are in full compliance with the CRIC Public Opinion Research Standards and Disclosure Requirements.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND MORE! DOWNLOAD IT BELOW FOR THE FULL RESULTS.
- Based on what you’ve read or heard, did you prefer the Democratic convention or the Republican convention?
- Which leader between Joe Biden and Donald Trump do you think can do a better job of handling…?
- The Conservative Party of Canada recently elected a new leader, Erin O’Toole. Based on what you have read, heard or seen so far do you a have a favourable or an unfavourable impression of Mr. O’Toole? If you do not know enough to answer this question, please indicate so.
- Which of the following is closest to your view of people’s reaction to the coronavirus (COVID-19)?
- Are you personally afraid of contracting COVID-19 (Coronavirus)?