From October 29 to November 1, 2021, on behalf of Postmedia, Leger conducted an online survey among Canadians to explore their perspectives on equalization.
OUR EQUALIZATION SURVEY ASKED CANADIANS WHETHER…
- They think their province would be better off as part of Canada or on its own
- They feel their province’s interests are well-represented in Ottawa
- They support or oppose Canada’s system of equalization payments
- They agree or disagree that some provincial governments are taking unfair advantage of the equalization system
- 1,554 residents of Canada aged 18 or older were surveyed online using Leger’s online panel, LEO, from October 29 to November 1, 2021.
- Using data from the 2016 Census, the results were weighted according to age, gender, and region in order to ensure a representative sample of the population.
- As a non-probability internet survey, a margin of error is technically not to be reported. If the data were collected through a random sample, the margin of error for a sample of n~1,500 would be ±2.5%, 19 times out of 20.