DOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORT AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE
Conducted in collaboration with the Association for Canadian Studies (ACS) and published in the Canadian Press. This series of surveys is available on Leger’s website.
- 27% of Canadians and 41% of Americans agree that requiring people to wear a mask in public places is an infringement on their personal freedoms.
- 68% of Canadians and 58% of Americans think police officers should be able to fine/arrest people who do not wear masks in places where it is mandatory to do so.
- When it comes to the COVID-19 crisis, an equal proportion of Canadians and Americans (40%) think the worst is yet to come.
IN THE NEWS: THE FEDERAL BUDGET DEFICIT
- 78% of Canadians are worried about the size of the federal deficit and how it may affect Canada in the long term.
- 41% of Canadians think that given the deficit, the Federal Government should immediately and quickly begin to scale back COVID-19 support programs and payments for individuals and businesses, 44% think it should not, and 15% are unsure.
This web survey was conducted from July 10 to July 12, 2020, with 1,523 Canadians and 1,001 Americans, 18 years of age or older, randomly recruited from LEO’s online panel.
Using data from the 2016 Census, the results were weighted by gender, age, mother tongue, region, education level and presence of children in the household in order to ensure a representative sample of the population.
For comparison, a probability sample of 1,523 respondents would have a margin of error of ±2.51%, 19 times out of 20, while a probability sample of 1,001 would have a margin of error of +3.1%, 19 times out of 20. The research results presented here are in full compliance with the CRIC Public Opinion Research Standards and Disclosure Requirements.
THIS REPORT CONTAINS THE RESULTS FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS, AND MORE! DOWNLOAD IT BELOW FOR THE FULL RESULTS.
- The Federal Government says this year’s deficit will exceed $343 billion, which is the largest ever recorded by a Canadian government. How worried are you about the size of the federal deficit and how it may affect things in Canada in the long term?
- If the Federal Government wants to raise taxes, what taxes should be increased?
- In your opinion, should police officers have the right to issue fines or arrest people who do not wear masks in places where governments make wearing masks mandatory?
- To what extent do you agree or disagree with the following: requiring people to wear a mask in public places is an infringement on their personal freedoms.
- Are you personally afraid of contracting COVID-19 (coronavirus)?